Sunday 12 October 2014

Module 9 - Networks on the web – professional and social


I investigated the social networking sites and reflected on the key questions.

Second Life
I have no first hand experience of using this social networking platform. I did watch the trailer - and I must honestly say it really does not appeal to me. I think it is reasonable to assume that many students of today enjoy playing video games and interacting with technology and social network - but I wonder where/when do we draw the line.
I was intrigued by the videos that were available about how some educators have been able to see valuable connections between Second Life and teaching and learning.
Currently as a teacher I feel swamped with the workload - it would be important to have a significant need to invest time and energy in creating such a world - alternatively having children create and interact in one themselves.

Facebook
I have my own private Facebook account - however I do not make connections between my personal social network and my students or work.
Privacy settings are always being updated and changed - and I am very conscious of my ‘digital footprint’.
For me personally, it is important to keep a distinction somewhere in your life between your personal life and work - otherwise it can be a struggle to switch off and feel like you are not always on the “clock”.
This tool is far more beneficial as a personal social networking tool as opposed to a tool to utilise in the classroom.

Scootle
I had never accessed this resource until we were planning to access the program builder available with the introduction of the new NSW English Syllabus. I have since used Scootle to access a range of resources and learning tools. (Scootle accessed through CNA - https://staff.cna.catholic.edu.au/)

I was very interested to search through the learning paths that are available. I think this is still one significant challenge facing educators - how to share and collaborate on making and sharing appropriate resources with a wider community.

I am a huge fan of the Primary Connections Resources - and have been able to access some great resources for Science, among other KLAs.

Twitter
The video overview of twitter suggests that a person’s life continues between emails and blog posts and it allows a person to share this with their social network in 140 characters or less. It also suggested that the posts serve to paint a picture of an individual.
In regards to twitter’s impact on a person’s ‘digital footprint’ - if students are not conscious of the speedy and sometimes long lasting effects of their posts and updates, they may be significantly out of their depth. Critical literacy skills are significant and students take time to develop such said skills.


Linked In
It is very easy to sign up and log in to a host of sites and applications. I have previously dismissed many invitations to sign up to many networking sites.
I find that like in the short video on the module page - you may not always see a reason for yourself to join up and be available across countless networking sites. It has given me food for thought though - to reconsider my previously held assumptions about such sites. I definitely believe you need to see a purpose for why you need such a resource.


It’s like the overview of a previous module - as the amount of information available on the web increase rapidly, how is one able to keep up with new ideas/information/technologies/networks etc?

No comments:

Post a Comment