Saturday 11 October 2014

Module 4 - Digital Storytelling: Podcasts, Vodcasts, Videos & Web

Module 4: Digital Storytelling: Podcasts, Vodcasts, Videos & Web 2.0

PODCASTS
I really learnt a lot about podcasts! I have heard about them for many years, but have neglected to use them for teaching and learning. I really see the benefit in utilising them as a tool to use for incorporating writing across the curriculum. Students can have a genuine, real audience at their fingertips every time.


I have heard and viewed many TED talks over the years and have been inspired by many ideas shared through this forum.


AUDIOBOOKS
Storynory

Having two hearing impaired students in my current class; I found it valuable that this site has the transcript available. This would be beneficial for these students in particular to be able to listen to the audiobook and review the transcript for any further clarification.
I really like how the audio file can be downloaded and saved.
The only downside is the stories are a bit slow to get started, with many ad references covered before the stories are commenced. But I think this is a small price to pay for such a great, free resource.

I took the time to review this article below - which was available from the storynory site.

Benefits of audio books for children

Baskin, Barbara H., and Karen Harris. “Heard any good books lately? The case for audiobooks in the secondary classroom.” Journal of Reading 38.5 (1995): 372-76.

ANIMOTO
I followed the links and took the time to view the ‘Animoto’ tour. The steps were very easy to follow to create an account and begin a project.


I created an animoto video about ‘Ancient Civilisations’. I used appropriate images available through ‘Flickr’.   https://www.flickr.com/
It was great to be able to email my favourite 'Flickr' photos - I can use it to be able to share suitable photos and images with my grade partners.

I created a short animoto video about our current English/HSIE/Creative Arts topic - 
'Ancient Civilisations'





In terms of using videos in the classroom - I think it is much easier to create videos with photos or video files that are already saved on the resident computer/ipad/device. There are many opportunities students can take to use a series of images or short videos to demonstrate or show their learning - in Mathematics, English, Creative Arts, Religion the sky is the limit.
From my experiences, it appears that any web tool that utilises the combination of audio and visual features appeals to students the most. 





1 comment:

  1. I love the video creation of Ancient Civilisations. Definitely one that you can integrate across a variety of KLA's (English, H.S.I.E, Creative Arts). Would be great to use these tools in our classroom.

    ReplyDelete